Web Developer at Sierra Club
This role is part of the Web Development Team. This team manages the day to day technical development work that powers the user experience and the building and maintenance of the front-end of many of the Sierra Club websites, including the DevOps work for some of these websites.
A successful candidate must have the following skills and experiences:
- Strong communication skills. You are able to communicate verbally and in writing with a wide variety of people and technical skills.
- Collaboration. You have the demonstrated ability to function in a collaborative, consensus-driven environment.
- Tool Knowledge. You have prior experience working with Drupal or similar content management environments, as well as Salesforce or similar experience in other CRM or eCRM environments.
- Equity Analysis and Practice. You are aware of your group identities and how they have shaped your life and experiences at work. You have an analysis of how racism and other forms of oppression in society impact relationships, systems and culture. You bring experience and skills for working effectively with colleagues across group identities and position/role.
Context: At the Sierra Club, we believe in the power of togetherness. Together, we remain committed to the fight for a healthy climate built on a foundation of environmental, racial, economic, and gender justice – a future where all people benefit from a healthy, thriving planet and a direct connection to nature. As the climate crisis and deeply entrenched systemic racism all fuel inequity, we will continue to fight for a bold, transformational agenda that recognizes the interconnectedness between our planet, our humanity, and our democracy. By recognizing that our destinies are tied, we continue to name that all things are fundamentally connected, and the overlap between ecology, race, gender, and representative government will move to either advance our collective humanity or to oppress it.
Sierra Club is comprised of staff across the country and a network of local chapters that support our grassroots engagement. We are also proud to be a unionized employer, with two labor unions representing more than half of our employees.
Scope: This role is part of the Web Development Team. This team manages the day to day technical development work that powers the user experience and the building and maintenance of the front-end of many of the Sierra Club websites, including the DevOps work for some of these websites.
The Web Development Team is part of the Web Production Team, which advocates for the needs of both the end user and the content creators in order to build effective tools and content to attain the goals of the organization. The Web Production team, which includes product managers and technical staff, assumes that Sierra Club products need to change over time.
This change is in response to ongoing changes in the technology and changes in end user behavior (such as devices, social media preferences, and accessibility expectations).
This role develops and maintains Sierra Club websites and works to maintain the array of tools, make sites accessible and mobile friendly, build new websites and features, to test tools and content to increase public engagement, and support content creators, fundraisers and campaign managers to better use Sierra Club websites. This work is done in conjunction with the other Senior Web Developers and Web Developers on the team.
Job Activities include but are not limited to:
Website Maintenance. Keeps tools and software like Drupal and its associated core, contributed, and custom modules up-to-date and migrates content and features involved with those updates. Uses vendor tools like Contegix’s Cascade and package managers like Composer and npm to manage this software.
Feature Development. Works with a variety of teams and individuals across the Sierra Club, including other Digital Strategies teams, Communications and Media teams, subject matter experts, field organizers, fundraising and marketing staff, local Chapter staff, Sierra Club volunteers, and third party vendors. Collaborates on website projects including the creation of new websites, new features such as interactive maps and landing pages, the interpretation of available analytics, and creates documentation to support these tools and processes.
Integration and Security. Collaborates closely with IT staff managing Salesforce and other internal systems and apps, particularly in regards to the use of APIs and the flow of our data from system to system. Also, works with IT staff to manage DNS and domains, optimize web application firewall configurations, and address security issues.
Testing and Analysis. Helps to set up and utilizes data from analytics and testing programs to evaluate work, set goals, and enhance products.
Miscellaneous. Performs special project assignments and miscellaneous duties as assigned.
Seasonal Workload: Heavier seasonal workloads may occur as a result of project deadlines, staff absences and vacancies, and during peak activity periods. Occasional weekend and/or evening work required.
- The salary range for this role is $100,000 - $105,000 annually.
- This position is represented by a collective bargaining unit and is subject to the terms and conditions of the contract between Sierra Club and Progressive Workers Union or Sierra Employee Alliance, depending on location.
- The Sierra Club offers a competitive salary package commensurate with skills and experience plus excellent benefits that include medical, dental, and vision coverage, and a retirement savings 401(k) plan.
- This is a category 3, exempt, represented position.
- Sierra Club is a 501(c)(4) non-profit organization. Sierra Club employees are not eligible to participate in the Federal Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) Program.
Sierra Club values the expertise and talents of foreign nationals. Sierra Club sponsors both nonimmigrant and immigrant visas when certain criteria are met, based on immigration laws and organizational needs. Such sponsorship is at the discretion of the Department Head and Sierra Club Human Resources in consultation with the employee’s manager. The Sierra Club cannot guarantee the approval of a visa petition. The Sierra Club is an equal opportunity employer committed to workforce diversity.
This position does not have an undergraduate education requirement. If you choose to include your education history, please remove your schools from your resume. You may leave your degree (e.g., “B.A. Philosophy”), but please remove any undergraduate and graduate school names.
This anonymous process is aimed at opening this opportunity to more candidates, reviewing applicants on performance assessments and mitigating bias in the decision-making process.
Lastly, we are intentionally not asking for a cover letter, so please do not send one in with your application.
Explore, enjoy and protect the planet.