VFX Artist at Squanch Games
A Mid Level VFX Artist is a skilled creator who can produce quality art from concept to completion, drawing inspiration from provided concepts and creating original artwork. They work autonomously, take responsibility for their tasks, proactively find solutions, and collaborate when needed. They are reliable and accountable for delivering work that meets project goals and quality standards, and can take ownership of a section of the game.
- 3+ years of video game or similar industry experience.
- At least 1 shipped title as a VFX artist.
- Create VFX that are consistently good-looking and efficient for real-time use.
- Niagara & Houdini proficiency.
- Experience using Unreal Engine in development with strong understanding of Blueprints.
- Ability to create 3d assets to help populate projects.
- Demonstrate ability to create textures and materials using Substance and Photoshop.
- A good eye for detail, silhouettes and composition.
- Ability to visualize and build content with minimal concept art and direction.
- Awareness of game engine budgets, memory limits and performance constraints.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills as well as organizational skills with software files and scenes when collaborating with teams.
- Understanding of basic principles (timing, scale, motion, color).
- Basic understanding of PBR and the difference between Opaque, Masked, Transparent materials.
- Is comfortable with material instances and using a material library whenever possible.
- Is a game dev first, an artist second (thinks about gameplay when working).
So, we heard you’re on this page because you want to work at Squanch Games, huh? GREAT TO HEAR. PROCEED. If you’re reading this, that means we have an open position on our team, and we want YOU to be the honorable chosen one to fill that thing up. At Squanch Games, we make dreams come true–the funkiest, bizarrest dreams from the gaping depths of our souls. Real complex stuff, but you probably know what we’re talking about because you’ve already played our games, right? RIGHT? (Hint: YES).
If you see molds and like breaking them, or boxes and enjoy stepping outside of them – ONWARD! Also, if you love working remotely, we've got you covered. There's a hungry application eagerly waiting for you to click on it. Feed it your resumes and cover letters. Mmm.
Our strange & squanchy worlds need plenty of effects to sell them, and hopefully that’s where you come in! We’re looking for an experienced visual effects artist to help establish our pipeline and create satisfying and awesome-looking particle systems and effects.
- Build detailed content in multiple different styles per project and art direction needs with consistent quality.
- Communicate and collaborate effectively with designers and other artists.
- Give and take critique from multiple departments and directors during the creation process.
- Quickly learn and adapt to new tools and pipeline processes.
- Work with production to ensure that time estimates are accurate and met.
- Create beautiful and efficient real-time VFX through all stages of development
- Salary range: $70,000 to $120,000 depending on experience
- Health, dental & vision insurance
- Short term & long term disability insurance coverage
- Paid parental leave
- 401k and FSA
- Flexible PTO & schedule
- Completely remote studio
- Bonus to ensure a comfortable work from home setup
- Monthly snack box
- Monthly stipend for WFH expenses
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Squanch Games provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, creed, marital status, registered partner or civil union status, disability status, medical condition, genetic information, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Please check your spam and promotions folders in your email! Sometimes our emails end up there.