Ubuntu Server Engineering Manager at Canonical
This is an exciting opportunity for a leader passionate about strong teams, open-source software, and Ubuntu. Build a rewarding, meaningful career working with the best and brightest people in technology at Canonical, a growing international software company.
Who you are
- You love developing and growing people and have a strong track record of doing it
- You are knowledgeable and passionate about software development
- You have some experience in leading, managing, coaching and mentoring software developers
- You are focused on success and the delivery of timely, high quality software
- You have solid experience working in an agile development environment
- You have a Bachelorâs or equivalent in Computer Science, STEM or similar degree
- You have strong written and verbal technical communication skills
- An understanding of a modern GNU/Linux distribution, Debian or Ubuntu preferred
- Practical experience with at least 1 of Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud, or Amazon Web Services
Ubuntu Server is the world's most popular Linux - on cloud and bare metal. In this role, you will manage a team delivering Ubuntu Server to the world.
Ubuntu strives to offer the latest, best, free software components, in an easy to use and highly reliable form. We build on the technical excellence of Debian and bring additional focus and shape to the solutions we provide to industry. The successful applicant will be passionate about the future of Ubuntu, mindful of the dynamics of the open source ecosystem, and aware of the needs of large, innovative customers.
This is an exciting opportunity for a leader passionate about strong teams, open source software and Ubuntu. Build a rewarding, meaningful career working with the best and brightest people in technology at Canonical, a growing international software company.
What you'll do
- Build and lead a globally distributed team of engineers
- Develop talent through coaching, mentoring, feedback and hands-on career development
- Support timely delivery of technical solutions to address business needs
- Effectively set and manage expectations with other engineering teams, senior management, and external stakeholders
- Advocate and advance modern, agile software development practices
- Develop and evangelize great engineering and organizational practices
- Grow a healthy, collaborative engineering culture in line with the company values
- Be an active part of the leadership team and collaborate with other leaders in the organisation
- Participate in strong engineering process through code and architectural review
- Engage with teams at Canonical, the open source community and commercial partners
- Oversee the quality of the Ubuntu Server image family
- Plan and deliver Ubuntu Server features
- Work from home with global travel for 2 to 6 weeks per year for internal and external events
Canonical is proud to foster a workplace free from discrimination. We truly believe that diversity of experience, perspectives, and background will lead to a better environment for our employees and a better platform for our users and customers. This is something we value deeply and we encourage everyone to come be a part of the world of Ubuntu.