Software Engineer II - Backend at Bread Financial
Bread Financial is a technology company that aims to transform the way the world shops online.
- High school diploma or equivalent education
- Two or more years with technical components utilized by the team
- Bachelor’s degree in Information Technology, Computer Science, or related area of study
- Three or more years with technical components utilized by the team
Every career journey is personal. That's why we empower you with the tools and support to create your own success story.
Be challenged. Be heard. Be valued. Be you ... be here.
Bread Financial is a technology company that aims to transform the way the world shops online. We build tools, technologies and APIs that allow e-commerce merchants to integrate installment loan financing and other alternative payment products anywhere in their customers’ shopping journey. Bread has enormous and engaging technical challenges. We need to verify online identity, predict fraud, and approve and price credit while providing a beautiful and frictionless consumer experience, all in real time. Our Engineering team plays a critical role in allowing us to grow our business and the success of our brand partners.
As engineering is core to our business, we believe strongly in the value of continuous investment in the overall health and quality of our technology. One way we do this is via Working Groups. Working Groups are quarterly teams of engineers who set out to tackle a specific engineering initiative outside of their primary engineering team. Working Groups have included such areas as Logging Architecture, Internal Authentication, Community & Blogs, Testing Infrastructure, and Monitoring. Groups meet weekly plan and own their roadmap and implement their features. All engineers get a chance to be in one of these groups and over time potentially lead a group for that quarter.
Distinction Merchant team: The Merchant Engineering team is responsible for our post-checkout API, tools, and data solutions which allow Bread's merchants and partners to reliably operate the Bread platform at scale. The team's services, written in Go, are centered around high-volume, real-time transaction management, as well as modeling the complex relationships between buyers, financiers, and merchants. The team also owns a Merchant Portal which serves as the primary user interface for Bread, its merchants, and its partners to understand, manage, and optimize the Bread platform experience. This is a full stack team, with both backend and frontend components.
Essential Job Functions
- Quality and Testing: Consistently writes functions that are easily testable, easily understood by other developers, and accounts for edge cases and errors. Understands the testing pyramid, writes unit tests in accordance with it, as well as higher level tests with help from more senior engineers. Always tests expected edge cases and errors as well as the happy path.
- Debugging and Observability - Uses a systematic approach to debug issues located within a single service. Is aware of the organization's monitoring philosophy and the operational data for their team’s domain. Helps tune and change the monitoring on their team accordingly.
- Software Design and Architecture- Understands a portion of the team's domain, can gain sufficient context to work productively in that portion. Designs functions that are aligned with the overall service architecture.
- Security: Understands the importance of security. Utilizes this knowledge to ask more senior engineers for help on making decisions that may have security implications.
- Incremental Value Delivery: Before beginning work, ensures that tasks are appropriately sized for continuous integration and incremental delivery with help from teammates and manager. Understands and acts according to task prioritisation. Notes dependencies. Usually handles risk, change, and uncertainty within their personal scope of work effectively. Usually decides and acts responsibly without having the total picture during routine business, and when in high pressure situations.
- Self-Organization - Commits to a realistic amount of work, and works with their teammates both to ensure they understand priority and urgency, and to deliver upon them accordingly. Escalates any blockers, delays, and cost ballooning to their team daily. Clarifies expectations with their teammates. When taking action, weighs cost and value in order to take the most economic action with help from more senior engineers. Sometimes uses this type of thinking to make suggestions to teammates.
- Feedback and Communication: Delivers praise and constructive feedback to their team, teammates, and manager in a useful manner. Actively seeks out feedback from their teammates and manager, and works to use feedback that they receive as a tool for growth. Usually communicates effectively, clearly, concisely and in an audience-oriented way in written and verbal form both technical and non technical subjects, to their teammates. Actively listens to others and ensures they are understood. Pays attention to nonverbal communication. Understands their work domain, shares their knowledge frequently with their teammates and contributes to their team's documentation. Watches out for opportunities to share knowledge.
- Collaboration: When requested, helps their teammates overcome obstacles, resolve blockers, and complete work tasks. Gives or shares credit where due. Works to build strong relationships with their teammates, manager, and product counterpart. Openly shares their opinions and contributes to discussions in a respectful manner. Approaches disagreement with their teammates non-defensively with inquisitiveness. Uses contradictory opinions as a basis for constructive, productive conversations. Is open to changing their perspective and plans based on others' input.
- Leadership: Has conversations based on organizational strategy and principles with their teammates when appropriate. Strongly oriented towards goals and works towards their team's goals. Sometimes thinks about team practices and processes and discusses improvements with team. Seeks out mentorship to grow their own experience. Sometimes mentors their teammates in an open, respectful, flexible, empathetic manner.
- Strategic Impact: Has a basic understanding of their team's domain, and how it contributes to overall business strategy. Understands the organization's engineering strategy. Understands product area of focus, how it fits into the overall business, and sometimes makes improvement suggestions for it.
Reports to: Manager or Above
Working Conditions/ Physical Requirements: Normal office environment, some travel may be required.
Direct Reports: none
About Bread Financial
At Bread Financial, you’ll have the opportunity to grow your career, give back to your community, and be a part of our award-winning culture. We’ve been consistently recognized as a best place to work in many markets and we’re proud to promote an environment where you feel appreciated, accepted, valued, and fulfilled—both personally and professionally. Bread Financial supports the overall wellness of our associates with a diverse suite of benefits and offers boundless opportunities for career development and non-traditional career progression.
(NYSE: BFH) is a tech-forward financial services company providing simple, personalized payment, lending and saving solutions. The company creates opportunities for its customers and partners through digitally enabled choices that offer ease, empowerment, financial flexibility and exceptional customer experiences. Driven by a digital-first approach, data insights and white-label technology, Bread Financial delivers growth for its partners through a comprehensive product suite, including private label and co-brand credit cards, installment lending, and buy now, pay later (BNPL). Bread Financial also offers direct-to-consumer solutions that give customers more access, choice and freedom through its branded
Bread CashbackTM American Express® Credit Card and Bread SavingsTM products.
Formerly Alliance Data, Bread Financial is an S&P MidCap 400 company headquartered in Columbus, Ohio, and committed to sustainable business practices powered by its 6,000+ global associates. To learn more about Bread Financial, visit
Bread Financial offers competitive pay, a comprehensive selection of benefit options including 401(k).
The Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Any applicant offered employment will be required to establish that they are legally authorized to work in the United States for the Company.
The Company participates in E-Verify.
The Company will consider for employment all qualified applicants, including those with a criminal history, in a manner consistent with the requirements of all applicable federal, state, and local laws, including the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance, the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, and the New York City Fair Chance Act. Applicants with criminal histories are encouraged to apply.
The Company complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), as amended, and all applicable state/local laws. The Company will provide accommodations to applicants needing accommodations to complete the application process. Applicants with disabilities may contact the Company to request and arrange for accommodations. If you need assistance to accommodate a disability, you may request an accommodation at any time. Please contact the Recruiting Team at
New York City, NY: Disclosure of COVID-19 vaccination status will be required after acceptance of a conditional offer of employment for associates who will work in the Company’s New York City, New York office on a full-time or hybrid basis (“NYC Associates”) to the extent allowed by applicable law. NYC Associates are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19 to work on-site. The Company is an equal opportunity employer and will consider reasonable accommodations where required by applicable law.
Employers will see your profile when they are sending a job in your skill.
Create Your Profile (simple)