Software Engineer at Health Catalyst
We need one to Work mostly on clearly defined and scoped individual features or problems
What you'll bring to this role:
- Ruby and Ruby on Rails
- RSpec and Test-Driven Development
- Source control using git
- SQL (PostgreSQL)
- Advanced SQL / PostgreSQL
- Java (extra bonus for drools)
- Grafana/InfluxDB/Data Visualization
Join one of the nation’s leading and most impactful health care performance improvement companies. Our mission is to be the catalyst for massive, measurable, data-informed healthcare improvement through:
- Data: integrate data in a flexible, open & scalable platform to power healthcare’s digital transformation
- Analytics: deliver analytic applications & services that generate insight on how to measurably improve
- Expertise: provide clinical, financial & operational experts who enable & accelerate improvement
- Engagement: attract, develop and retain world-class team members by being a best place to work
Job Title: Software Engineer
Team: Regulatory/MeasureAble team
Location: US Remote
Travel Requirements: < 15%, US
Work with a team that has the startup vibe (the MeasureAble Team was a startup acquired in February 2020) with the backing of a publicly traded company (and one of Glassdoor’s Best Places to Work 2020). We work on crunching the numbers on terabytes of healthcare data every night to improve outcomes for millions of patients across the US.
- Would you like to work improving the health outcomes for 10s of millions of patients?
- Do you agree with the programming principles of Basecamp, Sandi Metz, Martin Fowler, Kent Beck, etc.?
- Do you want to ship production code multiple times per week?
- Would you like to push the limits of what Postgresql, Rails, and other technologies can do?
- Do you want to be part of a team that values continuous learning and improvement?
- Do you want to work for a company that values work/life balance (over 20 company holidays!)
What you'll own in this role:
- Work mostly on clearly defined and scoped individual features or problems
- Has the ability to complete features / tasks that are 70-95% well defined
- Has the ability to discern where gaps can be filled in without consulting a Product Manager or another programmer, and when a consult is needed
- Work is reviewed with the occasional need for material direction or implementation changes
- Guidance can come from PR reviews, pair-programming, and other interactions with Engineers and Product Managers
- Follows established patterns and approaches within existing code bases with ease
- Takes ownership of learning and growth
- Capitalizes on internal and external opportunities for learning
- Identifies gaps in knowledge/skills and seeks ways to close those gaps (self-guided learning, pairing, requesting guidance, etc. from more experienced members of the team
- Ops Duty Rotation for 1 week, every 4-6 weeks
- Ability to communicate with Customer Success about customer issues that are escalated to Engineering
- Ability to balance bug investigation, customer issues, and a lighter load of normal feature work during this week
- Respond quickly to operational emergencies coming through OpsGenie
- 2-5 years of experience being a professional Software Engineer
- With the technical knowledge and skills listed below
The above statements describe the general nature and level of work being performed in this job function. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, and indeed additional responsibilities may be assigned by Health Catalyst.
Studies show that candidates from underrepresented groups are less likely to apply for roles if they don’t have 100% of the qualifications shown in the job posting. While each of our roles have core requirements, please thoughtfully consider your skills and experience and decide if you are interested in the position. If you feel you may be a good fit for the role, even if you don’t meet all of the qualifications, we hope you will apply. If you feel you are lacking the core requirements for this position, we encourage you to continue exploring our careers page for other roles for which you may be a better fit.
At Health Catalyst, we appreciate the opportunity to benefit from the diverse backgrounds and experiences of others. Because of our deep commitment to respect every individual, Health Catalyst is an equal opportunity employer.