Software Engineer at General Motors
We need one to Design, develop and implementation of Physics and Controls requirements to continuously improve software for mechatronic controls and diagnostics strategies as well as controller communication.
Minimum Skillset Required
- BS in Engineering - Electrical, Mechanical, Computer or BS in Computer Science
- Minimum 2+ years of experience with proven technical and professional skills in job-related area - embedded controls software
- Proficient in C, C++ programming
- Knowledge of Auto Code Generation
- Knowledge of Java, Matlab, Simulink, Python scripting, INCA, etc
- Outstanding levels of interpersonal and relationship management skills to effectively collaborate with varying levels of the organization as required
- Emerging partnership and teamwork skills and ability to learn from and share knowledge with co-workers in a fast-paced environment
- High level of integrity, ability to deal with ambiguity, take initiative/self-directed
- Consistent demonstration of innovative thinking that is customer-centric
Preferred Skills Required
- MS in Engineering, Electrical, Mechanical, Computer or Computer Science
- Skilled in C, C++, Matlab, Simulink, Auto Code Generation, Python scripting, ETAS, INCA, MDA and other software tools for either the development or testing of software
- Experience with JIRA and Scaled Agile Framework
- Experience with bootloader, embedded operating systems, controller communication or diagnostics
- Knowledge of AUTOSAR standards and methodology
- Knowledge and experience with CAN, LIN, ARXML, or Ethernet communications protocol
Work life balance, flexibility and your happiness are important to us!
Welcome to the new era of ELECTRIFICATION!
Our vision is a world with ZERO Crashes, ZERO Emissions and ZERO Congestion. We embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer, and more equitable for all. We are going to ELECTRIFY the WORLD with exciting new electric vehicles and much more!!
Do you have a passion for coding and take pride in the software you create? Consider joining our GM family of Software Engineers in VMEC (Vehicle Motion Embedded Controls).
The VMEC team is comprised of inclusive and diverse Agile teams, where everyone has a voice in the conversation. Our Software Development process translates Customer requirements into designs, creates code, executes testing, and then integrates our solutions into reality. Our team's software is demonstrated in vehicles today like the recently launched GMC Hummer, upcoming Cadillac Lyriq and electric Chevy Silverado. You can collaborate with the team that has a direct impact on the dramatically growing electric vehicle portfolio and help bring our vision of electric ecosystems, with energy storage solutions for homes & businesses, to production. We cover many domains and the list below provides details on each.
Please review the Software Engineer role descriptions and required skillsets. All skillsets are NOT required collectively. Passion, ability to learn quickly, and interest in the products are important to us!
- Embedded Controls SW Engineer
- Produce or deliver software for embedded controls systems in the electrification, autonomous, engine, transmission, or chassis space.
- Design, development and implementation of Physics and Controls requirements to continuously improve software for mechatronic controls and diagnostics strategies as well as controller communication.
- Test & demonstrate software functionality & readiness
- Supply common solutions across all GM owned software
- Document requirements for design solution and link them to test cases that can demonstrate software functionality
- Utilize automated test tools in build environments, benches, and vehicles to verify functionality of the feature at the Controller, System and Vehicle level
- Function as an inclusive Agile Scrum team member to deliver software solutions
- Coordinate and collaborate w/ departments outside VMEC such as Systems & Safety, Electrical Architecture, Software Defined Vehicle, Calibration and Vehicle Performance
- Have voice in software planning events, share ideas & learnings and help teach/train others
Domains (areas of focus based on your passion and experience):
Electrification, High Voltage - Our focus is High Voltage Contactor Controls, which enables propulsion of the vehicle, and High Voltage Energy Management, which focuses on dynamically monitoring the health of the battery system.
Electrification Energy Transfer - Charging & Discharging interfaces, communications, & protocols to enable vehicle to successfully charge and discharge. Includes but not limited to vehicle level AC/DC charging, V2x features, EVSE interfaces, DIN/ISO, CCS, CHAdeMO, GB/T, etc.
Electrification Driver Data - Human Interface ; Cluster, radio (HMI), & mobile app customer interfaces and notifications: vehicle range, state of charge, energy usage estimations; plug-in charging experience - schedules, locations, statuses, predictive and energy assist displays.
Battery Software Management - Algorithms designed for battery wireless sensing and communication, as well battery data detection & reporting and battery life management
FOR GM INTERNAL CANDIDATES: This role is posted at both the 6th and 7th level. The determination by HR and the Hiring Manager as to whether an offer will be lateral or promotional will be based on a candidate's relevant experience and whether the role will amount to a significant increase in level of responsibility.
Compensation: This position may be filled with a senior level or mid-career professional. The median salary / compensation for both roles are as follows:
Senior Career Professional - Median salary is $109,283
Mid-Career Professional - Median salary is $88,667
Bonus Potential: An incentive pay program offers payouts based on company performance, job level, and individual performance.
Benefits: GM offers a variety of health and wellbeing benefit programs. Benefit options include medical, dental, vision, Health Savings Account, Flexible Spending Accounts, retirement savings plan, sickness and accident benefits, life insurance, paid vacation & holidays, tuition assistance programs, employee assistance program, GM vehicle discounts and more