Senior Web Developer at The College Board
As a Senior Web Developer on our Item Cloud team, you are a poly skilled technologist and problem-solver.
- Ideally 5+ years of software development experience in a production environment
- Strong experience with React, Node.js, REST and CRUD
- Hands-on experience with cloud-based technologies, ideally with AWS
- Advanced knowledge of AuthN, AuthZ and/or RBAC
- Practical experience with Unit and Integration testing
Additional nice-to-have’s (not required):
- Experience with TypeScript, CSS and GraphQL
- Experience with AWS resources including any mix of Route 53, EC2, S3, CloudFront, VPCs, Security Groups, ELB, Lambdas, IAM, CloudWatch and SecretsManager
- Hands-on experience with Docker, CI/CD and NoSQL
- Familiar with infrastructure-as-code (Terraform, CDK), functional programming concepts, Test-Driven Development (TDD), Behavior-Driven Development (BDD)
- Knowledgeable in DevOps best practices, Developer Experience (DX) topics, and User Experience (UX) concepts
About Our Benefits and Compensation:
- College Board offers a strong compensation and benefits package that attracts top talent looking to make a difference in education.
- Our robust benefits package includes health, dental, and vision insurance, tuition assistance, paid time off, paid parental leave, retirement benefits with a generous matching program, and more.
- We reward performance through annual bonuses and provide opportunities for salary growth over time through base compensation increases, merit raises and promotions.
- We believe in compensating staff members fairly in relation to each other, their qualifications, and their impact. The salary range for a new employee in this position is $144,000 to $150,000. The salary offer of an individual candidate within this range is specific to their location and qualifications.
- Each salary offer is determined carefully using internal and external benchmarking and adjusting for the candidate’s location. You will have an opportunity to discuss salary in more detail after you begin the application process.
- As a self-sustaining non-profit organization with global impact, College Board offers a job that matters, a team that cares, and a place to learn, innovate and thrive!
College Board Technology Division – Item Cloud Green Team
About the Team:
The Item Cloud team is committed to building and driving innovation for internal-facing web applications that support College Board’s core products. Our team consists of 2 small squads, each of which owns a unique, data-intensive, high-impact, single-page web application that represent our internal content creation processes. We own the full stack, from the infrastructure in AWS to the front-end and back-end code deployed there. We build everything serverless, in the cloud, leveraging current technologies and novel techniques to be a force-multiplier for the programs we serve. We are remote, but close-knit. We are strong advocates of work/life balance and flexibility with schedules when needed. We often accomplish our work through paired or mob programming. We are proactive, passionate, and outcome-oriented, putting a premium on quality and efficiency. We use Agile scrum to manage our work and deliver value regularly following a DevOps model. The impact of our efforts as creative problem-solvers and idea-generators leads to innovations and dramatic improvements in College Board’s biggest program applications, serving millions of students to help them take ownership of their future.
About the Opportunity:
As a Senior Web Developer on our Item Cloud team, you are a poly skilled technologist and problem-solver. You have extensive knowledge and expertise designing, implementing, and testing web-based solutions and will apply this to deliver a high-impact content creation web application that integrates with a newly emerging content management ecosystem. You are communicative, approachable, self-driven, and collaborative. These traits combined with your experience will allow you to handle more challenging stories than other developers, while also reviewing others’ code, offering insights and pointers to those with less experience. You may even be handed an entire epic to see through from beginning to end.
In this role, you will:
- Design and implement, in collaboration with team members, data-intensive, highly secure, primarily React-based components
- Develop and maintain a thorough understanding of our customer’s business processes and operations
- Participate in pair programming and mob programming sessions, solving complex problems, and innovating on new ideas
- Refactor ugly code to be simple and readable
- Participate in conversations and offer opinions on proposed architecture, testing strategies, the developer experience, security, performance, and fault-tolerance
- Mentor and help junior engineers in their growth
About Our Culture:
- We are motivated to positively impact the educational and career trajectories of millions of students a year
- We prioritize building a diverse and inclusive team where every employee can thrive, and every voice is heard
- We value learning and growth; we offer formal and informal ways to lead through your strengths, sharpen your skills, and achieve your development goals
- We work with the latest technologies, so you will be industry-forward instead of left behind