Python Library Developer at Deephaven Data Labs
We are looking for an experienced Python developer to help build user-facing open source Python libraries that drive our front-end experiences.
- Degree in Computer Science or related field
- Strong Python development skills
- Experience creating and maintaining open source Python libraries
- Unit testing frameworks
- Git source control/GitHub
- Pandas, Numpy, Matplotlib, Plotly, PyArrow, Dash, Streamlit
- General data science
- Compensation & Benefits
- At Deephaven, we want happy and fulfilled employees.
- Our compensation is designed to attract the best.
- We offer a generous vacation policy.
- We encourage you to work when you are most productive.
Interested parties should submit their materials to [email protected] with the subject "Python library developer"
Deephaven builds a streaming table query engine used inside a small number of top hedge funds, investment banks, and stock exchanges. Our platform is used to analyze and explore rapidly growing data sets, measured in the billions of rows, and drive charts and data tables that update in real time. We are a well-funded spinoff of a parent hedge fund with offices in New York and Colorado. Deephaven is a remote-first company, and this role is remote.
We are looking for an experienced Python developer to help build user-facing open source Python libraries that drive our front-end experiences. Consider tools like Streamlit, Plotly Dash, Voilà, and Panel as comparable examples. You will contribute to libraries and APIs that are used in turning python scripts into interactive dashboard applications that handle real-time data exceptionally well. The role's initial focus will be on improving our plotting API, defining a new layout API, and enhancing our interactive dashboards. The ideal candidate should care deeply about developer experience.
Deephaven is a strong supporter of open-source software, and the majority of the candidates work will be part of an open-source Apache-2.0 licensed project. The candidate will work closely with our web development team and UX to develop requirements. The candidate will have ownership of library design and API calls, and must have a strong sense of what makes a library delightful and Pythonic. They will be expected to contribute to documentation and examples for the work they produce. Prior experience working with open source and developing Python libraries or frameworks is strongly preferred.
At Deephaven, we recognize that a dozen ordinary artists could never produce a Mozart masterpiece. Similarly, a dozen average developers could never measure up to one brilliant software developer. We believe that a small team of elite developers is far better than an army of average developers. We only hire the best, and we reward accordingly.
This position is best for an intellectually curious person - like MacGyver - who would like to tackle a wide breadth and mix of technical problems, rather than being pigeonholed into a single area. Deephaven is a meritocracy, not a bureaucracy. Our priority is for you to focus on what you love and do best: using technical curiosity and skill to solve a wide variety of problems.
- Improve and extend our real-time plotting API
- Build a new API for defining dashboard layouts
- Focus on developer experience and making libraries that are a delight to use
- Design and build reusable components, and contribute to our open source packages
- Create documentation that supports open-source components
- Collaborate in remote sessions with other developers on design, development and reviews
- Investigate technologies, components, and techniques for product improvement