Motion Designer at Freethink
We are looking for someone highly creative, collaborative, and passionate about ideas, storytelling, and design.
What You’ll Need
- 4 years of experience creating compelling motion design for documentaries, television, or online media
- Eager to take initiative on storytelling in post-production
- Proven history of animating impactful ideas
- Strong visual and motion design skills, with a clear grasp of balance, identity, color, typography, layout, and motion
- Passion for current design trends and knowledge of design culture, current and past
- Highly organized and an excellent communicator
- Desire to always be improving your craft
- Ability to research stock and archival assets for use in animations
Freethink Media is a publisher telling stories from the frontiers of our rapidly-changing, ever-inspiring world. We focus on short-form documentaries and interviews with the world’s brightest minds.
We’re a platform for the people and ideas that are changing our world — sharing stories of innovators, entrepreneurs, and activists who are thinking differently and making a difference.
Watch this trailer to see what we’re all about.
Our core teams in Los Angeles, San Francisco, New York City, and DC are joined by a growing network of Directors, Editors, Composers, Designers, Journalists, Developers and more all around the country. Together, we're building the kind of media company we all want to work for: curious, experimental, and ambitious.
What You’ll Do
The Motion Designer is a full-time position responsible for bringing Freethink videos to life with custom design and animation. The Motion Designer will work collaboratively with editors, directors, and producers to help tell stories by conceptualizing, designing, and creating compelling, original motion graphics in 2D and 3D formats.
The Motion Designer will also work with Freethink’s design and creative teams to establish creative direction – with respect to motion design – for Freethink’s new original shows and series.
We are looking for someone highly creative, collaborative, and passionate about ideas, storytelling, and design. We are also looking for someone who can both brainstorm ideas with others but also run with projects independently with minimal direction.
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Function as primary motion designer on assigned video projects managing the design and animation from kickoff meetings through conception, execution and delivery
- Interpret brand identities for new shows to create motion graphics direction and animated branding assets like logos, title sequences, and custom end cards
- Collaborate with Directors to brainstorm the vision for each video piece
- Coordinate with Post-Supervisors and Producers to create excellent work within tight deadlines
- Manage multiple ongoing projects, including: editorial content, sponsored content, and branding projects
- Maintain a strong understanding of Freethink’s style and approach
- Create compelling and creative visuals consistent with Freethink’s style and approach
- Create styleframes and storyboards to guide the design process for videos
- Create reusable assets and templates to reduce production times
- Consistently innovate on and experiment with design elements for videos
Technical Requirements (must be at a professional level with the following)
- After Effects
- Cinema 4D with Redshift rendering (or similar)
- Other industry standard Adobe CC software also useful inc. Premiere, Illustrator
What You’ll Get Out of This Opportunity
- Competitive salary and benefits including: Medical, Dental, Vision, Life, and Disability Insurance, 401(k), Commuter Benefits, Mobile Phone Stipend, and more
- Opportunity to work with the world’s most inspiring minds and help share their ideas with a wide audience
- Collaborative culture in a startup environment
- Remote, work from home flexibility