Midweight Backend Engineer at LUSH Cosmetics
we are always looking to expand perspectives and voices to shape our future. We see you, we celebrate you, we want you!
Who you are:
- Experience with Python is a must, any additional experience with languages such as PHP and Node would be a bonus.
- Are able to translate product or business requirements into technological initiatives.
- Are proficient in one or more of the following database systems: MySQL, Postgres/CockroachDB or MongoDB.
- Have a working knowledge of git.
- Have experience with frameworks such as FastAPI, Symfony, Laravel, Silex, Zend, Django.
- Are confident at identifying, debugging, and resolving issues.
- Knowledge of container based development environments would be helpful.
- Knowledge of cloud-native development, and Google Cloud Platform tooling is preferable.
- What’s it like working for Lush
We are building a brand that represents the people of the world. It’s what you do that counts, and we are always looking to expand perspectives and voices to shape our future. We see you, we celebrate you, we want you!
Who we are
You might know us as the inventors of the bath bomb, but there’s more to this great-smelling, privately-owned, family-run company than pioneering cosmetics. We believe our business should put more back into the world than it takes and demonstrate that responsible business can be a force for good. We fight cruel practices like animal testing, promote regeneration, and show that what’s inside counts - whether that’s an ingredient in a product, or open source code.
Lush Digital leads digital strategy for Lush across online, retail & manufacturing globally, creating, developing and supporting the tools that drive the business. From design, artwork & photography to engineering, systems & data, we support all of Lush’s digital needs.
You will be supporting the Business Tools team who focus on our Manufacturing & Retail businesses, developing a range of tooling to support areas of the business as diverse as our raw ingredients sourcing team, our product production teams, as well as our forecasting, fulfilment and retail teams.
What you’ll do
On a day to day basis, you'll be working closely with retail & manufacturing teams to discover, develop and support the systems they need, you will be building API first backend services to support frontend development and architect system integrations to allow for easy data flow across the business. You will collaborate with others within our Digital team to support wider technical standards and platform adoption, as well as provide mentorship for junior-level developers.
- Write clear, maintainable code that will scale across projects and distributed development teams.
- Collaborate with engineers, QAs, designers, and partners to solve interesting and challenging problems for delivering scalable technology worldwide.
- Refactor, review and maintain existing enterprise application code bases ensuring scalability, performance and security are taken into consideration, building new features to support the growth of global business.
- Actively researching and implementing innovative techniques and features to enhance the development process.
- Work closely with seniors and the leadership team to architect solutions, evaluate existing and emerging technology choices, and steer the overall technical direction.
People are at the heart of our business. We want you to enjoy and challenge yourself, build a career, and teach us what we don’t know, so we’ve created a culture where your job description is a starting point, not an end goal. Our working style is flexible, fluid, supportive, and authentic - if you’ve got the drive to push yourself and try different things, you will have our support.
As we pride ourselves on internal development, priority will be given to candidates who have an in-depth knowledge of Lush coupled with relevant experience and qualifications.
If all this sounds like you please send us your CV and covering letter, detailing why you would be a perfect fit for the role along with your current salary and expectations.
- 50% discount on Lush products and spa treatments
- Discretionary and profit-based bonus
- Pension scheme
- Day off for weekday birthdays
- Holiday purchase scheme
- Cycle to work scheme
- Discounted rail and bus season tickets
- Employee assistance programme
- 6 months’ full pay for parental leave (primary caregiver)
- Financial childcare support on return to work
- Flexible working