Junior Web Application Specialist at University of Massachusetts Amherst
The Web Application Specialist is responsible for providing operational support and tools to groups using any of the centrally managed on premise or cloud-hosted content management systems.
- Associate’s degree with four (4) years of Technical Support experience, preferably with experience providing website development support and/or familiarity with content management tools. Bachelor’s degree may be substituted for two (2) years of professional experience.
- Familiarity with common web languages and extensions as required, e.g. tables, frames, etc., as well as awareness of browser compatibility issues.
- Experience with basic networking and security architecture and implementation and familiarity with standard internet protocols and other internet issues such as name servers, hypertext transfer, file transfer, e-mail, etc.
- Ability to work independently, exercise good judgement and to make sound decisions.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and ability to work effectively with staff and students of varying experience.
- Experience with on premise and/or cloud-based server platforms and web server software such as Drupal and/or WordPress, scripting and automation languages such as Ansible and development tools such as Jenkins, and implementing and administering multi-site web architectures is preferred.
- Familiarity and experience administering load balancers and content delivery network
- (CDN) infrastructure.
- Physical Demands/Working Conditions
- Typical office environment activities.
- Web Development: 2 years (Preferred)
- Drupal: 1 year (Preferred)
About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The
University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College,
Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
The Web Application Specialist is responsible for providing operational support and tools to groups using any of the centrally managed on premise or cloud-hosted content management systems. This position assists with maintaining heath, performance and security of these systems via monitoring and applying updates as needed as well as opening vendor support tickets and tracking to resolution. Other duties include providing support for many of the underlying technologies that support these systems. There will be frequent interactions with representatives of other teams and vendors.
- Supports and assists with the administration of the University’s on premise and cloud-hosted content management and associated systems, including but not limited to load balancers and content delivery network (CDN) infrastructure.
- Provide technical support to University web developer.
- Monitor University web sites for security vulnerabilities, access the criticality and assists with patching as appropriate.
- Research and implement technologies to optimize web architecture.
- Develop tools for automation of tasks and integration of other central IT services.
- Analyze logs, performance data, and other metrics to insure system uptime and stability.
- Develop and maintain operational documentation, processes, and procedures.
- Ensure IT security, web policies and procedures are followed; and work with IT
- Governance to ensure any identity and access risks are mitigated.
- Assist in special projects, such as application go-lives, upgrades, enhancements, etc.
- Perform other related duties as assigned or required to meet Department, Executive
- Area/Division, and University goals and objectives.
- Obtain training and serve as secondary resource support person for other technical areas, as group needs dictate.
- Regular 37.5 hours a week.
- Some nights and weekend hours required.
- Participate in team on-call rotation.
This position has the opportunity for a remote work schedule, which is defined by the University as an arrangement where the employee’s work location is to work from a site other than the UMass Amherst campus. As this position falls within the Professional Staff Union, it is subject to the terms and conditions of the Professional Staff Union collective bargaining agreement
Special Instructions to Applicants
Submit a resume, cover letter and contact information for three (3) professional references in order to ensure consideration; however, applications will be accepted until the position has been filled.
UMass Amherst is an Affirmative Action / Equal Opportunity / Disabled / Veterans Employer.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $60,000.00 - $75,000.00 per year
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Employee discount
- Flexible schedule
- Health insurance
- Health savings account
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Parental leave
- Retirement plan
- Tuition reimbursement
- Vision insurance
Employers will see your profile when they are sending a job in your skill.
Create Your Profile (simple)