Jr. JAVA, Fortran, Python Software Developer at General Dynamics Information Technology
We need one to Improve software for dataset development and quality control and processing of raw hourly precipitation data into finished data/metadata, in support of lead scientist.
- Experience in scientific software development
- Experience in at least one of java/fortran/python, and shell scripting in linux environment
- Experience with Git
- Strong communication skills and the ability to work independently and on a team
- Must be detail-oriented and have the ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously
- Must be able to pass a background investigation to obtain a security badge to enter the applicable government facility and use government furnished equipment (GFE)
- Familiarity with various NCEI datasets and data streams including GHCN, HADS, HPD, ASOS, USCRN
- A background using environmental/climate variables in research
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related discipline along with in situ observation experience, OR Bachelor’s Degree in Atmospheric Science or related discipline along with software development experience. 0 - 4 years experience
- Must be able to obtain Public Trust (T2) Clearance.
This position is located at NOAA’s National Centers for Environmental Information (NCEI), working in the Climatic Science and Services Division (CSSD) in the Datasets section.
This position will conduct software development to support the quality control processing and transfer of new data sources to Global Historical Climatology Network (GHCN) Daily and GHCN-Hourly, including from Hydrometeorological Automated Data System (HADS), Hourly Precipitation Data (HPD), Automated Surface Observing Systems (ASOS), US Climate Reference Network (USCRN) data, and other precipitation data sources in response to lead scientist guidance.
- Develop software for dataset development and quality control of in situ data/metadata, emphasizing precipitation observations, in support of lead scientists.
- Develop software for combining/reformatting in situ quality controlled data into a merged/ intermediate format prepared for integration into GHCN-Hourly.
- Improve software for dataset development and quality control and processing of raw hourly precipitation data into finished data/metadata, in support of lead scientist.
- Develop software for combining/reformatting hourly precipitation quality controlled data into a merged/ intermediate format prepared for integration into GHCN-Hourly.
- Generate a plan for developing software for dataset development and quality controlling and integrating high temporal resolution observations from ASOS and USCRN into GHCNh, emphasizing precipitation observations, in support of lead scientist.
- Analyze data sources including observations
- Perform configuration management tasks related to software development
We are GDIT. The people supporting some of the most complex government, defense, and intelligence projects across the country. We deliver. Bringing the expertise needed to understand and advance critical missions. We transform. Shifting the ways clients invest in, integrate, and innovate technology solutions. We ensure today is safe and tomorrow is smarter. We are there. On the ground, beside our clients, in the lab, and everywhere in between. Offering the technology transformations, strategy, and mission services needed to get the job done.
GDIT does not have a vaccination mandate applicable to all employees. To protect the health and safety of its employees and to comply with customer requirements, however, GDIT may require employees in certain positions to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Vaccination requirements will depend on the status of the federal contractor mandate and customer site requirements.
GDIT is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status, or any other protected class.