Frontend Engineer at Protect Democracy
In this role, you will be responsible for the web-based interface of VoteShield as part of a small, collaborative engineering team.
The ideal candidate brings:
- 7+ years of professional experience in a Frontend Engineer or equivalent role building enjoyable and impactful experiences.
- Excellent critical thinking skills, ability to reason through novel problems, and good instincts about how to get to optimal solutions.
- Ability to prioritize, evaluate, and translate the needs of users into productive interfaces.
- Dedication to documenting work and building institutional knowledge across the team.
- Proven experience developing high-quality, easily maintainable software.
- Ability to build solutions that work across browsers and devices, and meet internal and external deadlines.
- Ability to foster collaborative relationships and work in a team environment with people with diverse backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives.
- Rigorous attention to detail and the highest standards for excellence in execution.
- Ability to track, prioritize, and balance a diverse set of responsibilities.
- Growth mindset and enthusiasm for giving and receiving feedback up, down and sideways.
- Passion for protecting and improving our democracy and genuine interest in how voting and elections work.
- Pluses, but not requirements:
- Strong visual and interactive design skills with a clear grasp of typography, layout, color, motion and user behavior.
- Experience working with elections or similar data and understanding the practicalities of working with public data.
- In-depth experience crafting data visualizations including the ability to choose the most appropriate visualization to accurately represent and communicate data.
- Knowledge of geospatial systems and visualization and practical experience understanding their limitations.
- We know there are great candidates who might not check all these boxes or who possess important skills we haven’t thought of. We value career experiences that include nontraditional pathways including education, breaks, and transitions. If that’s you, don’t hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself.
Protect Democracy seeks a highly motivated Frontend Engineer to join the VoteShield team.
Protect Democracy was formed in late 2016 with an urgent and explicit mission: to prevent American democracy from declining into a more authoritarian form of government. We are a cross-partisan team that defend our institutions and work to make real the full promise of our democracy by using the courts, legislatures, media, and every other tool available at the state and federal level.
As part of that mission, VoteShield is focused on analyzing voter data as a way to monitor the entire election cycle – not just what happens on election day – to ensure free and fair elections. We believe complete and accurate data are a crucial component of well-run elections. Well-run, transparent elections build voter confidence, and voter confidence is critical to a strong democracy.
In this role, you will be responsible for the web-based interface of VoteShield as part of a small, collaborative engineering team. You will lead with best practices in creating maintainable codebases, drive the implementation of new features, and iterate and experiment with optimal solutions for VoteShield and Protect Democracy at large.
The ideal candidate is detail oriented, has excellent communication skills, and is dedicated to documentation; as well as possessing a flexible, growth-oriented and collaborative mindset, a commitment to excellence, and enthusiasm for our mission. We strongly encourage candidates from diverse backgrounds and from across the political and ideological spectrum to apply. You can work remotely from any location in the United States
The Frontend Engineer will:
- Design, architect, and engineer solutions that improve the VoteShield web-based experience.
- Collaborate with the engineering team to form high-quality solutions to small and large projects.
- Collaborate with internal and external stakeholders to craft solutions that work for everyone.
- Design and implement interfaces and visualizations that maximizes users’ ability to interpret and explore data and analysis.
- Document, create, and grow institutional knowledge across relevant areas of work.
- Design, develop, test, deploy, maintain and improve software that is stable and scalable.
The starting salary range is $110,077 - $129,502, commensurate with the candidate’s relevant experience, capabilities and skills and in alignment with internal equity.
About Protect Democracy
Flexible location. You can work remotely from any location in the United States. The only requirement is that your location be one that allows you to complete the demands of the position and mission. We currently have staff in Washington, DC, New York, Massachusetts, California, Virginia, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Michigan, Georgia, Washington, and elsewhere around the country. Prior to the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic, we offered shared workspaces in those locations for staff members who enjoy working in an office environment, and we are reopening our workspaces in line with current guidance.
Commitment to a diverse workplace. Protect Democracy is an equal opportunity employer. Our culture principles emphasize that there is strength in diversity as we believe diverse teams are more innovative, creative, and productive. Protect Democracy encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, or veteran status.
Competitive pay and phenomenal benefits. In addition to a competitive salary, our benefits package includes: unlimited PTO, three months of paid parental leave, a 401(k) plan with up to 6% employer match that vests immediately, excellent employer-sponsored health, vision, and dental plans, long-term disability and life insurance for all employees, a home office stipend, and as budget allows, discretionary bonuses.
Ample opportunities for personal & professional development. Candidates who do not meet all listed criteria should still apply, as our organizational structure focuses on providing mentorship and opportunities for professional growth.
To apply for this position, please follow the application linked below. As part of your application, you will be asked to upload a single PDF that contains your resume, cover letter, and portfolio (or equivalent way of reviewing previous work, such as links). Applications missing any of the required materials will be considered incomplete and not reviewed. Complete applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Please contact [email protected] if you require accommodations at any point in the application process.