Front End Developer at Billy Graham Evangelistic Association
The Front End Developer assists the Front End Web Development Manager and other members of the Digital Media Ministries team in coding, building, testing, and deploying
- Maintains a personal, active relationship with Jesus Christ and is a consistent witness for Jesus Christ.
- Faithfully upholds BGEA in prayer.
- Participates in daily BGEA staff devotions as schedule permits.
- Demonstrates behavior aligned with BGEA’s Mission Statement, Statement of Faith, Hallmarks, policies, and expectations.
- Effectively represents Jesus Christ to those within both personal and professional spheres of influence.
- Bachelor-level degree or equivalent experience required.
- 1-2 years' experience in corporate web site development.
- Strong preference of server-side programming languages knowledge - PHP, Node.js, etc.
- Proficient understanding of code versioning tools, such as Git.
- Good understanding of server-side CSS preprocessors, such as LESS and SASS.
- Understanding accessibility and security compliance.
- User authentication and authorization between multiple systems, servers, and environments.
- Understanding differences between multiple delivery platforms such as mobile vs desktop, and optimizing output to match the specific platform.
- Implementing automated testing platforms and unit tests.
- Proficient understanding of OWASP security principles.
- Working knowledge of WordPress development.
- Physical/Mental Demands
- Ability to focus on detail while understanding the big picture
- Ability to meet deadlines while dealing with multiple projects, despite interruptions
- Ability to change and grow with organization and job
- Ability to bring new ideas to issues current in contemporary audiences, and knowing how to implement those ideas
- Flexibility to readily adapt when job parameters, deadlines, or directions change
- Ability to work closely with others as part of a team
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
The Front End Developer assists the Front End Web Development Manager and other members of the Digital Media Ministries team in coding, building, testing, and deploying Billy Graham Evangelistic Association (BGEA) digital projects ranging from modification of existing websites to creation of entirely new sites and building landing pages.
The Information Technology (IT) Department at BGEA consists of the following areas: IT Operations (networking, routing, storage, server support, services provisioning, security cameras, phones), Helpdesk (desktop support, event support, mobile device support), Application Development and Support (Donor and Financial systems support, custom application development and support, report writing, Tableau data visualization), and Cyber Security (cyber security defense, awareness, monitoring and analysis, and compliance). The IT department furthers the mission of BGEA through supporting, developing, scaling, and securing the assets, infrastructure, and programs required by all areas of the ministry while maintaining and ensuring their availability.
The Billy Graham Evangelistic Association is a nonprofit organization that directs a range of domestic and international ministries. From its headquarters in Charlotte, N.C., the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association directs a wide range of domestic and international ministries, including: large-scale festivals led by evangelists Franklin Graham and Will Graham; The Billy Graham Library; The Billy Graham Training Center at The Cove, Blue Ridge Broadcasting which houses The Light FM located outside of Asheville, N.C.; SearchforJesus.net, an Internet evangelism project reaching thousands of people for Christ online; and many others through print, television, telephone, radio and the Internet.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Codes WordPress plugins and updates themes for feature and security improvements.
- Builds reusable code and libraries for use in other applications built in Wordpress or CodeIgniter.
- Optimizes the application for maximum speed and scalability
- Implements security and data protection
- Other duties as assigned
- Reporting Relationships
- Reports to Front End Web Development Manager
- Has no supervisory responsibilities
- Work is typically performed in a conventional office environment
- Work involves participation in multiple meetings with department and other ministry staff
- Work requires ability to work for extended periods at computer workstation
- Extended work hours are occasionally required
- Employees filling regular full-time positions, who are working no less than 40 hours per week, are eligible to participate in BGEA’s benefits program.
- Medical, prescription, dental & vision insurance
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
- Long term and short term disability insurance
- Term Life insurance
- 401(k) retirement savings plan
- Ten paid holidays
- Minimum 12 days of vacation
- Ten sick days
Ministry Employee Expectations
- Christian Purpose and Expectations: All employees proclaim the Gospel of Jesus Christ through their employment, and thereby further BGEA’s religious mission.
- As an employee of Billy Graham Evangelistic Association:
- I acknowledge that the Lord Jesus Christ is my personal Savior and that I am a personal representative of Him.
- I understand that BGEA is a Christian organization whose purpose is proclaiming the message of the Gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ throughout the world.
- I agree that the purpose of my employment with BGEA is to further its Christian purpose, and that I am prepared to assist in accomplishing that purpose.
- I understand that I must exhibit conduct that is consistent with BGEA’s expectations, whether at work or away from work, in keeping with scriptural teachings and principles as set forth in God’s Word, BGEA’s Statement of Faith, and BGEA’s policies including Christian Conduct.
Statement of Faith
These core beliefs make up the foundation upon which all our ministry endeavors are based:
We believe the Bible to be the inspired, the only infallible, authoritative Word of God revealing the love of God to the world. 1 Thessalonians 2:13; 2 Timothy 3:15-17; John 3:16.
We believe that there is one God, eternally existent in three persons: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Matthew 28:19; John 10:30; Ephesians 4:4-6.
We believe in the deity of the Lord Jesus Christ, in His virgin birth, in His sinless life, in His miracles, in His vicarious and atoning death through His shed blood on the cross, in His bodily resurrection, in His ascension to the right hand of the Father, and in His personal return in power and glory. Matthew 1:23; John 1:1-4 and 1:29; Acts 1:11 and 2:22-24; Romans 8:34; 1 Corinthians 15:3-4; 2 Corinthians 5:21; Philippians 2:5-11; Hebrews 1:1-4 and 4:15.
We believe that all men everywhere are lost and face the judgment of God, that Jesus Christ is the only way of salvation, and that for the salvation of lost and sinful man, repentance of sin and faith in Jesus Christ results in regeneration by the Holy Spirit. Furthermore we believe that God will reward the righteous with eternal life in heaven, and that He will banish the unrighteous to everlasting punishment in hell. Luke 24:46-47; John 14:6; Acts 4:12; Romans 3:23; 2 Corinthians 5:10-11; Ephesians 1:7 and 2:8-9; Titus 3:4-7.
We believe in the present ministry of the Holy Spirit, whose indwelling enables the Christian to live a godly life. John 3:5-8; Acts 1:8 and 4:31; Romans 8:9; 1 Corinthians 2:14; Galatians 5:16-18; Ephesians 6:12; Colossians 2:6-10.
We believe in the resurrection of both the saved and the lost; the saved unto the resurrection of eternal life and the lost unto the resurrection of damnation and eternal punishment. 1 Corinthians 15:51-57; Revelation 20:11-15.
We believe in the spiritual unity of believers in the Lord Jesus Christ and that all true believers are members of His body, the church. 1 Corinthians 12:12, 27; Ephesians 1:22-23.
We believe that the ministry of evangelism (sharing and proclaiming the message of salvation only possible by grace through faith in Jesus Christ) and discipleship (helping followers of Christ grow up into maturity in Christ) is a responsibility of all followers of Jesus Christ. Matthew 28:18-20; Acts 1:8; Romans 10:9-15; 1 Peter 3:15.
We believe God’s plan for human sexuality is to be expressed only within the context of marriage, that God created man and woman as unique biological persons made to complete each other. God instituted monogamous marriage between male and female as the foundation of the family and the basic structure of human society. For this reason, we believe that marriage is exclusively the union of one genetic male and one genetic female. Genesis 2:24; Matthew 19:5-6; Mark 10:6-9; Romans 1:26-27; 1 Corinthians 6:9.
We believe that we must dedicate ourselves to prayer, to the service of our Lord, to His authority over our lives, and to the ministry of evangelism. Matthew 9:35-38; 22:37-39, and 28:18-20; Acts 1:8; Romans 10:9-15 and 12:20-21; Galatians 6:10; Colossians 2:6-10; 1 Peter 3:15.
We believe that human life is sacred from conception to its natural end; and that we must have concern for the physical and spiritual needs of our fellowmen. Psalm 139:13; Isaiah 49:1; Jeremiah 1:5; Matthew 22:37-39; Romans 12:20-21; Galatians 6:10.
Continuing the lifelong work of Billy Graham, the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association exists to support and extend the evangelistic calling and ministry of Franklin Graham by proclaiming the Gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ to all we can by every effective means available to us and by equipping the church and others to do the same.