Backend Data Engineer at Next College Student Athlete
As one of the first Backend Data Engineers in the organization, you are empowered to make significant, impactful technical and cultural decisions, and help shape and guide the evolution of our data platform and company data strategy.
Who You Are
- You have expertise in data engineering, building capabilities with architecture, modeling (physical and logical), storage, resilience, and security.
- You have sufficient experience in the mechanics of software engineering (preferably Python) practices to teach.
- You have sufficient experience in the mechanics of scalable data infrastructure to teach.
- You have deep expertise with cloud-based distributed data platforms, preferably in AWS.
- You have experience developing data pipelines using Airflow, ELT design, optimization and maintaining data storage systems using S3 and Redshift or similar tools.
- You have implemented batch and streaming data pipelines at scale and built platform components with automated testing suites using test-driven development principles for data.
- You are familiar with relational databases (e.g. Postgres).
- You have deep knowledge of SQL and Python.
- You know how to create efficiency in data handling by tracking the lineage, maintaining the quality, and improving the discoverability of data.
- You have learned painful lessons from building successive generations of software to manage and deploy highly available, reliant, and performant data infrastructure at scale in high availability, high volume, performant and distributed environments.
Build the data platform foundations for understanding student athletics.
The Backend Data Engineer is responsible for implementing the technical direction of the Data Engineering team. This is a hands-on, individual contributor role operating on a cross-functional and skill-focused team. The Data Engineering team enables data- and insight-driven decision-making and planning by providing consistent, accurate and timely data to analysts, data scientists and business users.
Working closely with platform development managers, Data Engineers design, implement and maintain data infrastructure used by Product and Platform engineering teams in the form of data pipelines, data lakes and warehouses, business intelligence and visualization tools, and services for data quality and governance. Working with analysts and data scientists, they build custom data integrations, develop and deploy machine learning endpoints, and optimize the performance and scalability of customer-facing and internal data applications. The Backend Data Engineer’s work provides teams with visibility into NCSA’s business performance, product delivery, and the outcomes student athletes, coaches and teams achieve to realize their goals.
As one of the first Backend Data Engineers in the organization, you are empowered to make significant, impactful technical and cultural decisions, and help shape and guide the evolution of our data platform and company data strategy. Reporting to the Director, Data Engineering, the role requires deep expertise in the design, implementation, and continuous improvement of cloud-native data infrastructure and platforms.
What You’ll Do
- Design, develop and maintain automated data pipelines to standardize and refine data collection for existing and new data sources used to power analytics and data science for business teams.
- Develop extensive subject-matter expertise around individual and categories of data pipelines to establish operating standards and service-level agreements with analysts and data scientists.
- Forecast data utilization and identify potential bottlenecks or optimization opportunities.
- Apply test-driven development methods to data platform configuration and deployment.
- Work with Software Engineering teams to adopt standard data platform components for their systems with the confidence that event data will be safely collected, stored, and transformed.
- Lead technical conversations and decision-making around data architecture and implementation with Engineering teams, helping to identify opportunities and recommend technical solutions.
- Partner with Analysts, Data Scientists and Data Program Managers to apply, implement and productionalize descriptive, predictive, and prescriptive statistical models on large datasets.
- Define data operations approach and operating methodology for versioning, testing, security, test data management, data migrations, data quality, metadata, and documentation.
- Establish standards for building reliable, highly available, testable, and sustainable data platforms using performance engineering, continuous data delivery, and instrumentation for observability.
- Dedicate meaningful time to research, evaluation and implementation of new tools and methods (Open Source and commercial) to meet changing organizational data needs and opportunities.
- Serve as part of an on-call support rotation with other engineers to debug, troubleshoot and resolve data platform using the Incident Command System methodology.
About Our Company:
NCSA College Recruiting is the world’s largest college recruiting platform and part of IMG Academy, the leader in athletic-academic education and development for high school student-athletes.
At NCSA, we believe in building better lives through sport. We are committed to helping every student-athlete reach their full potential and instilling skills and habits that lay a foundation for athletic and academic success. Through digital-first tools and expert guidance, our team of former athletes and coaches helps student-athletes through the college recruiting journey to ensure success in college and beyond.
For over 20 years, NCSA has empowered the next generation of student-athletes to take control of their future. Be a part of NCSA’s mission and see why NCSA is one of the nation’s best employers in sports.
IMG Academy is part of the Endeavor family of companies (NYSE:EDR).
Endeavor unites and brings people together in our love of sport, culture, and entertainment. We understand this can only be accomplished when we harness the entirety of our company and lead with a lens of diversity, equity, and inclusion in everything we do. It means that we engage in anti-racism and allyship the way we do anything. Fiercely and Fearlessly. As a global company that drives culture we endeavor to reflect the world’s diverse voices both internally and externally to ensure success in our mission.
Endeavor is an equal opportunities employer and encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, or religion or belief.
Endeavor is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment.